Wholewheat Banana Loaf
115 g butter at room temperature
115g caster sugar
115g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
55g wholewheat flour
3 large ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla essence
55g chopped walnuts (can be replaced by chocolate)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°c/gas mark 4.
2. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 23 x 13 cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon over the butter mixture and stir to blend.
6. Stir in the wholewheat flour.
7. With a fork, mash the bananas to a puree, then stir into the mixture followed by the vanilla and nuts (or chocolate if using).
8. Pour the mixture in the prepared tin and spread level.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
10. Eat – and share!